INDIANA GLASS AND TIARA
The term "glass" is used to denote a variety of substances made from differing materials. Glass is both hard and brittle, and is usually either transparent or translucent.
Glassmaking in the United States is traced back to the early 1800's when an enterprising Boston Merchant began the Sandwich Glass Company in Sandwich, Massachusetts.
The first glassware was produced at the Sandwich Glass Company and included items such as jars, bottles and tableware.
The Beatty-Brady Glass Company was founded by George Beatty and James C. Brady in 1895, who originally purchased from U.S. Glass Company the idle A.J. Beatty and Sons Factory in Steubenville, Ohio.
In 1896 they purchased a newly built Pennsylvania Railroad carshop building in Dunkirk, Indiana.
In 1899 The Beatty-Brady Glass Company joined the National Glass Company and the plant was operated as the Beatty-Brady Glass Works.
In 1904, Indiana Glass Company leased the plant from National under a directive handed down from the Board of Directors.
National Glass was released from their receivership in 1908 and the assets of Dunkirk were purchased by Indiana Glass Company.
Indiana Glass Company was incorporated in 1909 to make hand-made and machine made tableware.
Industrial pressed glass, primarily auto headlight lenses, was produced in the 1920's and 1930's.
Financial difficulties resulted in major stockholders taking over active management in 1953.
Indiana Glass Company merged with Lancaster Lens Company of Lancaster, Ohio in 1955, which resulted in the formation of Lancaster Glass Corporation.
Additional management changes were made, and in 1962 Indiana Glass Company became part of Lancaster Colony Corporation.
In 1970 a subsidiary of Indiana Glass, Tiara Exclusives was formed. Tiara's product is a selection of decorative and tableware items produced for the exclusive sale to customers through Independent Associates.
Tiara Exclusives has been fortunate enough to purchase many pieces of equipment over the years from other plants that have been forced to shut their doors. From these purchases many excellent molds have been found to create exciting "new" pieces to add to our line.
The most notable in our current line would be the molds purchased from Federal Glass Company and Imperial Glass Company.
FEDERAL GLASS COMPANY
Federal Glass Company was founded in 1900 at Columbus, Ohio by Robert J. and George Beatty.
They began producing pressed tableware in 1906. Both hand and machine pressed ware were manufactured until 1946 when the hand shops were closed down and the plant became fully automated. Federal continued to produce a full line of tableware and beverage ware until it closed in February of 1980.
Tiara has faithfully reproduced items #10085 [crystal] and #10432 [black] Colonial Candy Box and Cover from these Federal molds. This piece was also made for Tiara promotions in blue etched, ice blue, chantilly green, amber, coral, amethyst and decorated ruby colors.
With Lancaster Colony Corporation's 1985 purchase of Fostoria Glass Company, not only was a whole new line of lead crystal accessible to Tiara Exclusives [as described elsewhere in this manual] but also made available were several older molds that could be used in producing exciting "new" items.
Tiara is delighted to present many beautiful wares from our Fostoria mold collection exclusively for you.
The life-like satiny figure of the crystal etched Madonna, the exquisitely Grafted and hand-blown platinum Water Bottle, the versatile premier blue La Shea Water Bottle, the Hapsburg Footed Chalice and Cover, the Windsor Crown Chalice, Coronation Lamp and Vase, Victoria Vase and Eve Candy Box and Cover are all wonderful additions made possible by these rescued molds!
Tiara's paperweight collection adds that Fostoria touch to many desk tops throughout the land.
IMPERIAL GLASS COMPANY
In 1901 a new glass company was incorporated in Bellaire, Ohio. It was know as Imperial Glass Company.
Production began in 1904 with the primary product being pressed tableware. In 1958 after years of peaks and valleys success wise, Imperial purchased most of the mold equipment from the newly defunct A.H. Heisey Glass House in Newark, Ohio. Two years later a large purchase of mold equipment was made from Cambridge Glass Company which had closed its doors in 1958.
Lenox, Inc. purchased the plant in 1972 and operated the plant under the name New Imperial Corporation until the operation was sold to Consolidated Stores of Columbus, Ohio and Lancaster Colony Corporation on November 20, 1984.
Imperial molds used in the Tiara line include the stunning platinum Victoria Vase, the bold, black Milady Vase, Adore Bud Vase, the dainty Bouquet Mini Basket in provincial blue, the Impressions 3-Toed Bowl, the Imperial Ashtray in dusty rose, the Pie Wagon and Cover in crystal and the Dove Candy Box and Cover in crystal.
FENTON ART GLASS
In the age of mass production, the Fenton Art Glass Company remains unique, reflecting the charm and graciousness of an earlier, gentler time. Each piece of Fenton glass begins as a fiery gob of molten glass which is then formed with pride by master craftsmen using techniques and tools that are centuries old.
The Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 by Frank L. Fenton and his brother John, in an old glass factory building in Martins Ferry, Ohio. Here they painted decorations on glass blanks made by other firms. The Fenton's found that they had trouble getting the glass they needed when they wanted it, and soon decided to produce their own. The first glass from the Fenton factory in Williamstown, West Virginia was made on January 2, 1907.
One of the first colors produced by the new company was called Chocolate Glass, and in late 1907, Fenton began to make iridescent pressed glass. Fifty years later this glass was called Carnival Glass. Iridescent glass was the backbone of the Fenton line for the next ten years, and it helped the company become financially successful in those early years.
Between 1948 and 1949, the top three members of Fenton management died, and brothers Frank M. Fenton, age 33, and Bill Fenton, age 25, took over as President and Vice-President of Sales respectively. The next five years were rough ones, but then milk glass began to sell beautifully all over the country. The team of Frank and Bill led the factory through significant growth for the next 30+ years. Together they continued to develop new designs based on the flexibility and character of handmade glass. Often they have said that Fenton's success depends on Grafting items that cannot be made by machine.
Fenton Molds used in the Tiara line include Water Lilly, Pie Wagon & Stage Coach, Some of the other items Fenton made for Tiara are Sandwich Rectangle Butter dish & Napkin Holder (Peach) Spoon Holder, Wall Vase & Rose Vase (Peach)
L.E. SMITH Glass Company
L. E. Smith was founded in 1901 in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania. At that time, it was called the Smith Glass Company. In those early years, Smith produced barber shop mugs, vault lights, egg separators, and mixing bowls. They also pioneered the first glass dome for coffee percolators, which had previously been made of tin.
In the late 1920's, Smith began to make dinnerware which was sold to movie theaters as premiums, and candy novelties including miniature telephones and little glass houses.
During the 1940's, Smith became one of the largest milk glass producers in the country and at the same time, the front-runner in the manufacture of hand-pressed punch bowls.
Still employing the historic processes of making glass by hand, L.E. Smith has maintained a strong following by combining the artistry of their forefathers in glassmaking, and sophisticated design work in new items and decorating techniques.
L E Smith Molds used in the Tiara line include Garden Gate, Royal Wedding Box, Orchid Set, Spring Song, Corn on the Cob holders, Aurora, and Rosalee
HANDMADE BY PILGRIM GLASS
The Pilgrim Glass Corporation was founded by Alfred E. Knobler.
Pilgrim Glass began production 46 years ago in 1949 on Michigan Street in Huntington, West Virginia.
The factory took over the premises of a very small building on Michigan Street in West Huntington with one day-tank furnace and seven employees. By 1955, it had outgrown its premises and moved into its present location on a 32 acre site on Airport Road in Ceredo, West Virginia.
The factory has always produced what is essentially mouth-blown art, which is sold to approximately 8,000 accounts including overseas shipments to the United Kingdom and parts of Europe.
Their production facilities include a continuous crystal furnace which produces 25 tons of glass each day. Other new sophisticated equipment automatically cuts; and finishes glass surfaces, providing rough and fine grinding of glassware. Their equipment and physical plant have created a glass plant with state-of-the-art production, able to meet any challenge for producing a superior, high quality product.
#530 Branch Vase Optic, Spruce
This mouth-blown vase was originally designed and produced for Tiara in 1985. Past colors include amber, black, chantilly green and platinum.
Now produced for Tiara by Pilgrim Glass in spruce, this shapely piece will lend a striking accent to any room.
Available as a $750 Level Hostess Treasures Gift. (18" high)
Durand Glass & Susquehanna Glass
Our new Silhouette Stemware is finished exclusively for Tiara by Susquehanna Glass. Each piece can be an exceptional compliment to the popular Sandwich Dinnerware in peach.
The European design of our Silhouettes Stemware adds a new dimension to our product line. The production process for this type of stemware requires precise timing and exceptional skill. Understanding the steps involved helps us appreciate the true value of this particular product line.
The blank pieces of stemware are produced by Durand in France. The dual colors are achieved from two separate tanks of glass; one peach and one crystal. As the stem is formed from the peach tank, the top or "bowl" area is blown to exact shape and size from a crystal tank. The two pieces are quickly united and fused with intense fire to form a single elegant piece of stemware, which is then carefully polished for a brilliant, clear finish. The product is then forwarded to Susquehanna Glass in the United States for the final and equally challenging process of cutting our pattern into each piece. Afterward it is closely inspected, packed and shipped to Tiara Exclusives, ready for its final destination, the Tiara customer.
Further research of our selected pattern provided an interesting history. It was used on stemware marketed to upscale department stores in the 1930's, 40's and 50's, and it was called, believe it or not, the Tiara Pattern!
An excellent gift choice, Silhouettes Stemware is durable and dishwasher safe. You will appreciate both the high quality and the graceful European styling whenever a formal dinnerware setting is desired. [100% lead-free.]
Item # Glass Mold Information
740 8 oz. Wine, pair Blown/handcut
741 12 oz. Goblet, pair Blown/handcut
742 5 3/4 oz. Flute, pair Blown/handcut
In 1993, Tiara Exclusives is proud to offer 24% lead crystal products, imported from Germany. Products of this type from Germany are known for their excellent quality and elegant design. Each item is offered exclusively by Tiara in the United States! Handcrafted by masters of the glass-making art, the offerings are competitively priced and absolutely beautiful!
Our introduction included four collections. Each of these designs were created by Franz Pfund, Senior Chief Designer of Anna Hutte who reportedly "presently is the most capable artist for designing shapes and designs for crystal products."
These handmade lead crystal items differ in composition from our standard "soda lime" glass. High quality quartz sand, potash and soda, in addition to other chemical mixtures are melted at approximately 3000 F. in special fireproof tanks.
To maintain the lustre and brilliance, simply hand wash in warm water with a mild detergent. Never use the dishwasher! The color decorations are applied by hand and baked in a special kiln at approximately 1000 F. for permanence. The unique handles on the baskets are applied with a special adhesive under ultraviolet beams.
The following items are available, packed in a Tiara box, individually labeled: Tiara by Anna Hutte Products are La Fleur (Pronounced: La Flur), Mercedes (Pronounced: Mer-say-dees) and Rendezvous (Pronounced: Ron-day-voo)
Tiara's Sandwich pattern began as the focal point of the entire line. It was originally introduced in our 1970 catalog in ruby. A limited selection of items were available at the time. Since then golden amber, crystal, colonial blue (bicentennial), chantilly green and now peach and spruce have been offered, keeping pace with the ever changing color palettes in home decorating.
Sandwich Glass originated at the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company in Sandwich, Massachusetts. Deming Jarvis had his intricate, lacy designs hand-cut into iron molds, and by utilizing his original hand-pressing process, began manufacturing the first hand-pressed glass ever made in 1825.
Nearly 150 years later, Tiara Exclusives, with molds designed by the Indiana Glass Company in the 1920's, introduced its line of sparkling Sandwich. Among that group of 1920's molds were many popular items including: the Tumbler, Goblet, Vegetable Bowl, Snack Set, and the basic Starter Set which included Dinner Plates, Salad Plates, Saucers, and Cups.
Many hand molds have been replaced with machine sets to accommodate the growing demand for this nostalgic pattern.